FROGS is a community group of volunteers encouraging the use protection and enjoyment of outdoor spaces in and around Frome.
We want to make sure that the green spaces are safe and inviting for people of all ages to enjoy.
We welcome anyone who is interested in the outdoors and making sure that we enjoy it and look after it.
FROGS have organised several bat- and bird-box building days, as well as wildlife walks. Events are also organised in the parks including along the Welshmill Greenway and in Victoria Park. They have raised funds for improvements to Frome's parks and open spaces.
- The Great Whatcombe Thistle Pull
- Help get the thistles at Whatcombe Fields under control ! Pop along for half an hour, half a day, whatever, between 10.30 and 3.30 on June 9th. more details -http://www.somersetwildlife.org/nofollow/iqs/range.1528498800-1/events.html (25/05/18)
- Somerset Wildlife have an event in nearby Asham Wood
- There is a celebration event at an amazing woodland just west of Frome, Asham Wood. It is coming up very soon, on the 5th May. There is more information and a poster for the event here: http://www.somersetwildlife.org/AshamWood.html
It is partly sponsored by Frome Town Council, to highlight the wildlife value of this wood to people who live nearby. There are activities and crafts, but places need to be booked, so visit the website detailed above and enjoy a day out ! (24/04/18)
- Vote for the Remakery and £38K !
- Several Frome groups to do with make-and-mend are coming together to bid for £38,000 - but they need our votes. edventure, Fair Frome, The Share Shop, Open Storytellers, The Men's Shed and CoderDojo are coming together to use the money for over 100 workshops in Frome.
Please visit edventurefrome.org/peoplesprojects to find out more and vote for this project. (14/04/18)
- April events
- There are two events on Sunday 22nd April - meet at 9 am on the bridge end of Willow Vale for a walk with Dan Lupton identifying the birds/birdsong along Willow Vale and in Rodden Meadow. Then there is an afternoon herbal workshop from 2 till 4 at the Roundhouse on the Otherside - check on the events page for more details. (13/04/18)
- Yellow Fish event
- Several small groups wandered around Frome Town Centre on Saturday 24th March painting yellow fish signs near the fresh water drains. This is a reminder to everyone that the contents end up in the river - and pollution can kill fish. So it'a a colourful reminder to take your litter home ! (25/03/18)
- Shared Earth Learning Easter Activities
- Thinking ahead to Easter, visit http://sharedearthlearning.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page_15.html to find out activities over the Easter break ! (26/02/18)
- The 2018 programme is coming together !
- Not all the dates and times have finalised, but a bird identification walk in April, butterflies, otters (maybe signs of otters !) and wildflower walks over spring and summer are on offer. And we mustn't forget the Bat walk - this year we are going to a different venue. Plus herbal workshops in the Roundhouse, gardening sessions there as well, a yellowish project, and FROGS will have a stall at the Seed Swap and Potato Day on 25th February at the Cheese and Grain - and there is more in pipeline ! (21/01/18)
- Join RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch !
- Help the RSPB by counting the birds in your garden - or a public park - for 1 hour over the weekend of 27-29th January. The data collected is analysed and the RSPB can find out which species are thriving and which are declining. You can request a free pack to help you get ready, along with more details via their website https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch/#utm_source=Notes%20on%20Nature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=January
- Funding for activities by the Roundhouse on The Otherside
- Congratulations to the Children's Festival ! Tesco's Bags of Help has awarded funding for a Wildlife project at the Otherside. More details to follow ! (02/01/18)